Thursday, May 15, 2008

From the Mouth of a 2-Year-Old

While somewhat shy and quiet in new situations, Ben is a major chatterbox most of the time. We get running commentary from the moment he wakes up until he puts his head down at night, as only a 2-year-old could tell it. Here are a few snippets:

Lying in bed at naptime: I’ll hold you, Mommy … Are you really heavy to carry around?

About random passersby on the street: What’s his/her middle name?

Watching me put on eyeliner: Are you coloring your head?

At breakfast one morning: Look, it’s a ladybug! Actually, it’s a MANbug.

To a lady sitting in his way at the park, after we had practiced politely approaching her and saying “excuse me”: Open sesame. (This is also said to any automated door - elevators, grocery stores, garages, etc.)

Ben is in full “Why?” mode. (I’ve read that this can last for years … God, grant me patience.) After rounds and rounds of questioning, I sometimes have to finally just answer, “Because that’s how God made him/her/it.” The other day in the car we were talking about traffic lights, a new fascination: Why is that wire up there? So power can get to the lights. Why? So the light can turn colors. Why? So we know when to go. Why? So we don’t crash. Why are there two wires on that one? I’m not sure. Cuz that’s how God made it, Mommy.

1 comment:

Leah said...

That last one is hilarious!