Thursday, January 12, 2012

17 Months

Eliza is 17 months old today. While for most this is not a significant milestone, for me it offers some really precious insight and perspective. My parents met me for the first time ever, fresh off a flight from South Korea, when I was exactly 17 months old (to the day, in fact). It's a strange juxtaposition - she and I at this age. On the one hand, it feels like we've known her forever - we've formed an unbreakable bond, she is unmistakably ours, and we know her in ways that nobody else ever could. And on the other hand, I have no memory of my life before being adopted, and I can't imagine feeling more "bonded" to parents than I do to my own.


So, I'm just left feeling incredibly grateful that I have a glimpse of what I might have been like at 17 months: how big I was (Eliza is about the size I was when my parents got me), how much I might have been talking/communicating, whether I had favorite songs like she does, etc. (I should mention that, unlike Eliza, I was pottytrained at 17 months!)


We always knew she was a gift from God, as all children are, but today is an unexpected gift that I'm so thankful for.




No comments: