Thursday, May 23, 2013

Here's What You Don't Do ...

Here's what you don't do on your oldest's 8th birthday, when you're already feeling all verklempt about him not being a little kid anymore, about time passing too quickly, and about your journey together so far.  You don't accidentally come across this Amy Tan quote (I've inserted "son" for "daughter"):
 
“…I love my son. He and I have shared the same body. There is a part of his mind that is a part of mine. But when he was born he sprang from me like a slippery fish, and has been swimming away ever since. All his life, I have watched him as though from another shore.”
 
Because when you do, you end up crying onto your keyboard, trying to catch tiny breaths between the tears.  It's hard - motherhood.  This eight-year ride has been beautiful, challenging, magical, heartbreaking, exhilirating, and everything in between.  And always, an incredible, incredible honor.
 

Eight years old?  Whatevs.  As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.


No comments: